In 2015, we are trying a new schedule. Opening day will be Saturday, May 2.
We will be open May thru mid-July. Hours:
Sat: 9am - 4pm
Sun: 11am - 4pm
What makes Kinnickinnic Natives unique?
- Locals only! Plants that is.
- Almost all of the plants sold at Kinnickinnic Natives are grown from seed collected from our site.
- Kinnickinnic Natives is only 30 minutes from Saint Paul. For those customers from across the river, we are closer than you think.
- The majority of Kinnickinnic Native's plants are grown in 3" pots. The plants are more affordable (especially for larger installations) and easier to transplant. Some will even bloom the first year.
- Knowledgeable owners on staff.
In 2015, we will be discontinuing our sales of Cypripediums. Cypripediums are purchased from Spangle Creek Labs as
seedlings. We grow the seedlings for now four growing seasons before
they are available for sale. Some may be of blooming size, most will not.
Unfortunately, the majority of Cypripedium sold in the US are still dug from
the wild. Fortunately, the trade in nursery propagated plants is growing larger
every year, although the price will never be able to compete with wild
collected plants. Cypripedium grown from seed usually take from 6-8 years to reach
flowering size, so when you see flowering size plants sold for less than $35,
you can be pretty sure that they have been wild collected.
We believe in being upfront with you on what is going on the world of
Cypripediums. We give a lot of love, care and
attention given to our ladyslippers. We give you the information to grow
a successful plant.
So, are ladyslippers hard to grow? The Large Yellow is the easiest to
grow. Most Cypripediums need morning sun and well
drained soil. The best example of an ideal location would be the
woodland's edge. The Showy and the White like more sun than the
In addition to Cypripediums, Kinnickinnic Natives grows about 99% of
plants from seed grown on our location. The original seed sources are
within 50 miles of our site. How many nurseries or greenhouses can
make that claim?
235 State Road 65, River Falls, WI 54022
Kinnickinnic Natives 2015 Hours
May - mid-July
Sat: 9:00 - 4:00
Sun: 11:00 - 4:00
All other times by appoinment.
Conservation through propagation is the key to preservation.– Anonymous